Table of contents
Millions of vehicles are sold in Canada each year, but most of those sales are used cars. According to Statista, used car sales have more than doubled since 2012.
Although dealers and private sales remain the most popular methods of purchasing used vehicles, another method is quickly gaining popularity. Public car auctions in Calgary are becoming an increasingly popular way to buy high-quality used vehicles at reasonable prices or sell them in a competitive bidding environment. If you’re looking for a used car, you can find great deals at Calgary car auctions. Here’s everything you need to know.
An Introduction to Calgary Car Auctions
An auto auction can be an extremely viable place to buy a used car if you take an informed approach and know what to look for. There are hundreds of auction sales across the city, and chances are you’ll find at least one within a reasonable driving distance. Purchasing a car at an auction does not have to be intimidating or frightening. If you do your homework and understand the rules, you can get a great deal on the car of your dreams while potentially saving thousands of dollars. Here are some pointers on how to get the best deal possible come auction day. If you’re new to online car auctions and thinking about selling, you may find some insightful tips in our post covering how to auction your car for the best price.
Where Do Auctions Get Their Cars From?
Auction companies are often asked where they get their cars from. The answer is that most of them come from consignments, dealerships or bailiff companies, this allows them to have access to a wide variety of cars for auction. To summarize, public auctions in Calgary can obtain inventory from a variety of sources including:
- Private sellers
- Dealerships with trade-in vehicles to sell
- Repossessed vehicles
- Government departments and agencies
Can the Public Buy Cars at Auction?
Auction houses can be very exciting for both buyers and sellers. But what type of people are buying cars at auction? Buyers with various motivations and backgrounds can be found at public vehicle auctions:
- Ordinary people are searching for a great deal on a car.
- Car dealers are looking to find vehicles to resell for a profit.
- Mechanics and collectors looking for spare vehicle parts
If you’re an auction newbie, we recommend taking a peek at our guide covering how to buy a car at an auction.
What Is the Bidding Process at a Car Auction?
When it comes to bidding, public car auctions in Calgary are no different than other types of vehicle auctions. Here are a few easy steps to get you started.
- Register to bid in the auction.
- Check out the vehicles in the auction inventory that you’re interested in and, if possible, set up a personal inspection.
- Establish a budget and be aware of vehicle reserve prices. We recommend setting a pre-auction price and sticking to it during the vehicle auction.
- Once the auctioneer starts selling, keep up and place a bid on the car you want.
- If the successful bidder meets or exceeds the reserve price of a car, the sale will be completed relatively quickly. If the reserve price isn’t met, but a reasonable offer is made, the owner of the vehicle will be contacted and given a conditional offer.
- When you place a winning bid or accept a conditional offer, you will usually be required to pay a deposit. You can take full possession of your vehicle once you have paid in full.
Get Familiar with Local Calgary Car Auctions
Calgary is a city that has a lot of things to offer. It’s the capital of Alberta, home to some of Canada’s most famous attractions, and one of the most lucrative places in Alberta for potential vehicle buyers. Whether you’re searching for a great deal on a new car or need to sell your existing one, this list will provide you with an overview of the best car auctions in Calgary.
There are several legitimate Calgary car auctions, but while we’re on the subject, we invite you to attend one of our upcoming auction dates! If you’ve already tried us out and haven’t found what you’re looking for, we recommend starting with the auctions listed below.
Copart Canada sells wholesale, salvaged, and used vehicles to the general public, auto shops, and car dealers across Canada. They also have vehicles available for purchase right away. You can look at the cars in person to make sure that all the information on their website, which is a great tool for buyers, is correct.
ADESA holds auctions throughout North America, one of the world’s largest automotive auctions. They offer numerous pre-sale, sale-day, and post-sale services to ensure buyers and sellers maximize each transaction. ADESA hosts weekly and biweekly auto auctions.
If you are new to car auctions in Calgary, you may feel overwhelmed. The procedure is user-friendly, and you will most likely get the hang of it simply by participating. We have decades of auction experience and enjoy sharing our knowledge with new bidders. In conclusion, we encourage all Calgarians looking to buy or sell a vehicle to attend a vehicle auction. A competitive bidding environment and large numbers of vehicles available might save you thousands of dollars.